29 december 2014

The hearing at the Medico Legal Centre in Sheffield was told ex-Kesgrave Hall care worker Kenneth Wheatley - previously known as Kenneth Scott - had left a suicide not before walking in front of a train travelling between Silkstone and Dodworth, near Barnsley on April 12.

He was also questioned as part of the National Crime Agency inquiry into child abuse in north Wales care homes in relation to offences said to have taken place in 1976 against a boy aged 13 or 14.

These were the same care homes owned by John Allen, 73, of Foxglove Avenue, Needham Market, who was jailed for 11 years earlier this month after being convicted of abusing 19 children between 1969 and 1991.

Mr Wheatley had been arrested on suspicion of indecent assault and died two days later.

He had previously been jailed for eight years in Leicestershire in 1986 for buggery and gross indecency.

His whereabouts were listed as unknown 14 years ago following Sir Ronald Waterhouse QC’s ‘Lost in Care’ inquiry into abuse in north Wales.

Scott’s name was on a list of 28 people sought by the Department of Health in 2000.




7 October 2007

In April this year ex-care worker Kenneth Wheatley was found dead on a railway line near Barnsley two days after being arrested as part of the Kesgrave Hall inquiry. He was also arrested by the National Crime Agency in relation to the investigation into historic child abuse at North Wales children’s homes.

The 62-year-old, who was known as Kenneth Andrew Scott, had previously been jailed for eight years in Leicestershire in 1986 for buggery and gross indecency.



Waterhouse Report 2000

There were complaints of sexual abuse from six former boy residents of the only voluntary home that we investigated, namely, Tanllwyfan. They were directed against a former care assistant at the home, Kenneth Scott, who was there from 1974 to 1976 and who was sentenced in February 1986 to eight years' imprisonment for buggery and other offences against boys committed in Leicestershire between 1982 and 1985. We have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the two complainants who gave evidence of indecent assaults on them by Scott during his period at Tanllwyfan. There is one charge against Richard Francis Groome in respect of his period as Officer-in-Charge of Tanllwyfan.



CAREER: Was care assistant at Tanllwyfan, near Old Colwyn from 1974 to 1976. Left school at 16 to work for the National Coal Board for two years before becoming a warden for the Youth Hostels Association. He was also a barman and a care assistant for Wandsworth Borough Council.
TRIBUNAL: Was jailed for eight years in 1986 after pleading guilty to two serious sexual assaults and three of gross indecency. The victims were boys aged between 14 and 16.



In Chapter 45 Mr Scott 1985–1986, he recounts how Mr Scott was appointed Officer in Charge at Rosehill in 1978 and on 29 July 1985 was arrested on a charge of indecency with a teenage boy. In fact, the boy had broken into Mr Scott’s house and stolen a video recorder which was found by police to contain a video of sexual activity between Mr Scott and various boys; a search of his home revealed a suitcase of pornographic books. In February 1986 he was sentenced to eight years in prison on five charges.